Yesterday, during our morning session Emmy figured out how to make her braces walk. What an exciting day!!!! She started out walking between the parallel bars. Her PT said she was ready to begin the next "step" in the process. He explained that from now on rather than doing the walking for her he was going to begin setting one leg suspended above the ground behind her and then by pushing her walker just a bit further ahead of her than she has been doing, she would figure out how to take a step. Not only did she figure out how to take one step... she took repeated steps. We did a trip up and down the hallway during the morning session and then she did a lap around the inpatient unit during the second session. It was very slow going but it was tremendous progress. Emmy's PT said he can count on one hand the number of children that leave walking on their own after the two weeks of therapy. It is so encouraging to see how well she is doing. (I had to fight to get her into this program because she is so young and because the doctors needed to be convinced that I would follow through and do what I needed to do in order to help her be a successful walker). I hope her success is proof enough that she will be a great walker.
Tree Planted
13 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment