CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Bittersweet Day!

We headed to Shriner's for our weekly appointment this morning. Emmy got her crutches last month and we have been slowly working on getting used to them. Today, for the first time, she walked all the way down the hallway and back. That is the furthest she has walked with them so we were quite proud. She doesn't care for the crutches because they don't provide as much stability and security. Since the crutches are so much more difficult she transitions back to her walker with ease. Last night when she walked with her walker she took 10 steps independently as I scooted her walker forward. Those are the first consecutive independent steps she has taken. I am so excited! Her PT at Shriner's today called her "Their Little Star". Another proud Mama and Dada moment.


Following our Shriner's appointment I came home to quickly check my email before taking Ash to choir. I then learned that my dear friend Christy's husband
Jeff passed away yesterday. He had been battling cancer and lost his battle. My heart aches for my friend. Jeff was too young to lose this battle and Chris too young too lose her husband. Please remember Jeff's family and Christy in your prayers in the coming weeks and months. (I love you my friend!)


Our spirits were lifted this afternoon when Emmy's first wheelchair was delivered to our house. We have been waiting for this day for several months. Again, I was a proud Mama. It struck me as strange that I would be so excited about this day but then I realized... for Emmy this is a milestone, just like her getting her braces and mobile stander. These are things that she will utilize for the rest of her life and because these are her first ones they seem extra special.
At first she acted as though she didn't know what to do with her new wheels. There were two vendors here and she doesn't like to try new things in front of strangers. Once they moved across the room she took off. She had her wheels figured out in no time and she was all around the living room. The wheels are thicker than the wheels on the stander so it took her a few minutes to adjust. As she was wheeling around, I noticed that she was bumping into things from time to time. She doesn't do that when she is in her Star Car. I realized that for every piece of equipment she uses she has to learn that piece of equipment. Each one handles differently, each has different dimensions, each has a different configuration. Her brain is wired to figure all of that out and she has been doing it since she got the Star Car at 13 months old. It is fascinating to watch her power all of these items. She is amazing!!!

0 comments: